Thursday 22 December 2011

Plugged

One of my favourite books from last year was Plugged, Eoin Colfer's fantastic first crime novel. Eoin is a huge publishing phenom in the world of YA with his internationally bestselling Artemis Fowl series. When I heard he was writing a crime novel I couldn't wait to pick it up.

The story follows Daniel McEvoy, an ex-Irish army man turned New Jersey nightclub bouncer. The novel clips along at a page turning rate but there was one particular scene involving a key that stopped me dead in it's brilliance. It was probably only a couple of lines but it was such a cracking image that it has stayed with me ever since. To be able to pack that much emotion and imagery into such a small number of words is a true test of talent.

And then there's the humour. I don't see much humour in the usual thrillers I read but Colfer delivers laugh out load moments in this, quite a few surrounding a certain shady doctor, and it was a refreshing change of pace.

One of the things I liked most about it is that it gave people like me, i.e. Irish, who don't know anyone in our Defence Forces a window into what they get up to on their peace keeping missions abroad.

I can't recommend Plugged highly enough...so I've put a You Tube vid in of the first chapter of the audiobook. Here's hoping there's a sequel in the works (Unplugged? Replugged?) and that Ken Bruen can make him do it again!

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment